Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 21, 2011

To smile or not to smile? Why is that a question?

So,  as the night has come upon me, I am sitting in my rocking chair, going over all my thoughts and emotions that has been running through my head like leaves tumbling down the street.

One thought that I seem to can not shake actually happened today as I was running errands .

I was at the grocery and looking at the products on the shelf ( baking ingredients ) as I look up, a young man who was stocking shelves, proudly and very eagerly smiled at me, actually stood there smiling as if to say "Hello" He stood and smiled longer than I would expect anyone stranger to smile at someone.

My first thought to myself was "Why does he look so happy?" then I rationalized with myself and said he probably wants to help me, if I am looking over products and it's the day before Good Friday , he might actually want to be helpful, I returned the smile grabbed some cream cheese frosting and was one my way.

Now as I am looking through more groceries I suddenly think to myself, why would I wonder why someone looks happy as they smile?!?!?! It was a legitimate smile, not one of those fake through the teeth, painful smiles that people tend to force ( As a photographer I do everything in my power to prevent those) A REAL SMILE, a happy "How do you do?" smile!   

I suddenly realized to myself that when "out and about" so many people carry sad , angry, tired , lonesome faces, that to see a beautiful smile , has actually shocked me.

I started focusing in on people and many if not most, just seemed weary for the worst, and this saddened me beyond belief,  so many carry such stress, and it shows through their eyes.

 So I started smiling at those around me, some look baffled and some looked almost angry at the thought of me even considering it. For those who actually returned the gesture had sad smiles.......
What a thing to have, a "sad smile"  ( this depresses me )

I have always believed you can tell a life time by someone's eyes, the lightness in them, they give off so much information, you can everything through the eyes of people, and they are a dead give away when someone is faking a smile. 

I suppose I have been so wrapped up in my world and the world of those that I love that I have not really paid mind to those that smile at me when I come across them. 

So what has happened to us? Why are we confused and why are some of us annoyed at those who dare spring a bit of joy in our directions?

I will in fact start smiling as much as I can , hopefully I can keep the lesson I have learned today, and smile, hopefully sprouting joy into someone's day, I hope you will too.

As Charlie Chaplan once said, 

Smile though your heart is aching 
Smile even though it's breaking. 
When there are clouds in the sky 
you'll get by. 

If you smile through your pain and sorrow 
Smile and maybe tomorrow 
You'll see the sun come shining through 
For you. 
Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying.
You'll find that life is still worthwhile-
If you just smile.

I truly hope the sun will shine upon you,

Many Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment